Skip to content
- Very high risk factors: Subjects with high lipid levels, e.g. LDL > 6.0 mmol/l, imaging should not guide initiation of therapy but may be used to track carotid atherosclerotic burden.
- When to start: Depending on familial history screening for carotid plaque should start between 30-40 years of age.
- Collection of data: Patient history, Laboratory (lipids, glucose, renal, thyroid), Imaging (carotid plaque area TPA), clinical (bruits ecc)
- Assessment of risk: you may use our risk tool (reference)
- Therapeutical decisions: statins, blood pressure lowering drugs, life style ecc
- Follow up: usually after 1 year with atherosclerosis tracking and laboratory values renewed